Thursday, March 26, 2015

Ballard Locks & Tea



Last week, Ian and I found some time that we could spend together and went out to the Ballard Locks (Hiram M. Chittenden Locks). It was a sunny day that brought some warmth and spring weather to the air.



This was my first time to the Locks, which are known for the fish ladder where you can see salmon. However, it's not yet the season for this so we just enjoyed the scenery.





The Locks allow boats to come in and they somehow make the water-level go up and down, which was very interesting to look at.





These days my grad school life is over and I'm hitting the pavement trying to get some work. Last quarter I taught one class at a local community college and was told I would get a few more classes for next quarter. But everything depends on student enrollment, and now they are not too sure. I had an interview at another community college last week and they seemed to like me. I'm waiting to hear from them this week whether they too have availability for me.

I must admit I didn't really prepare myself for this "adjunct" life of waiting for a job. It's not something I'm enjoying, either. I do have a backup plan which is teaching some regular hours at the IEP private school I've been subbing for. This won't get me the income I need to fully survive, but it will do. However, I want to hold out on that as long as I can. The first comm. college may still have classes for me, but won't know until late next week.

Meanwhile, I keep applying to other positions I see out there. I realized that some schools may not be passing my resume along because my transcript doesn't show "graduated" yet, which will change next month.

A part of me really wants to have something secured by now, and another part of me says "wait it out...you'll get what you want". Thankfully, Ian is being supportive and the new spring weather is cheering me up.

A VW Bus:




Ian went to LA for his vacation, and so I've been trucking it along out here. I met up with a friend recently for some tea at a local tea cafe in the International District. The Panama Hotel is an old establishment that use to be a part of the local Japanese residents. It was a very cozy cafe and had that old-timey feel to it.









Tom in the shadows....

No comments:

Post a Comment